I was so excited to open up the kiln on Saturday. There was a lot of goodness that I'll share over the next few weeks- I'm trying hard to build inventory to open up shop in this space! One thing I do want to share now is my final Clayer project:
So many techniques going on in this piece. The bottom is press-molded, and to make the bottom, I made a plaster mold of an oval vegetable bowl I have, then used it as a drape mold. I took that drape mold, pressed a rounded tool into it to make a reverse-hobnail pattern, then bisqued it to make a press-mold. THEN I pressed a slab of clay into this mold, working to make sure that I used enough pressure to capture the hobnail pattern.
After the bottom was firm enough to work with, I added a slab that I'd decorated with stencils and mishima circles. I've been playing with inlay designs since 2010- it is by far my favorite surface decoration. After the pieces were attached (which was a long process of trial and error and re-making), I used the very-new-to-me water abrasion to create the scalloped pattern. Next time, I will be a little more aggressive with this- the relief is very subtle, perhaps because of the underglaze I used. I always forget how extremely bright this underglaze is once glazed. If I were to repeat this project, I would use a lighter color, but I'm pleased with it, even if it is a hair too bright.
I really like the inside. Because my base is an oblong and pointed shape, I thought joining two slabs to would be stronger and easier to manipulate that one single slab. I left the overlapping ends visible on the inside and trimmed them into a scallop pattern.
I'm looking forward to using this at home- filled with white hydrangeas this summer, I think, or a big fruit salad. I'm not sure how I'll work something like this into my overall work, but there's plenty of time to play with new techniques and I'm grateful for the experience to learn, even remotely, with such a great teacher. Diana is offering the class again. Check here for details!