Here they are, less five. I am so excited to see them all lined up together like this. I gave four as gifts and inadvertently sold one in October. Looking at them all, I can't decide which one(s) I'll keep and which I'll sell or give as gifts this year. There are definitely shapes and styles I'll revisit, and definitely ones I won't revisit. So- the last ten pitchers:
The tallest pitcher to the left is #43. I decided not to add a spout but pulled one from the body of the pitcher. I definitely prefer the process and finished look of an added spout. Most of these last ten pitchers have pulled spouts but I don't really remember why. I decorated this pitcher with hand painted cobalt dots, glazed with a clear glossy glaze. I'd hoped that the dots would move a bit, but I think that my cobalt inlay doesn't have enough frit in it anymore to run. Next, #44, a hand-drawn hedgehog with cobalt inlay. I neither pulled nor applied this spout but cut the body of the pitcher down to form the spout. Same story with #45, a personal-sized creamer, glazed in white.
#46 is also tiny, with a pulled spout. Little cross-hatches with cobalt inlay. I'm really happy with #47 and #48. 47, to the rear, is angular with an applied spout. I drew in my little cascading circles on both sides of the pitcher and took my dirty but dry cobalt brush, brushed away the clay crumbs, and deposited the dried cobalt over the entire surface. I use a respirator mask when I do this to avoid breathing in the clay and cobalt dust, which is dangerous for your lungs, but I adore the blue cloud it leaves behind on the stoneware. #48 is a bigger pitcher, applied spout, with a floral motif I adapted from a vintage transferware platter I found at an estate sale a few years ago. I applied the cobalt inlay fairly heavily, again in hopes that it would travel under the glaze, but, again, not enough frit in the mix. Still, this is one I'll keep.
Lastly, #49-52. I had a lot of fun with this set. It is (very) loosely inspired by colonial silver pitchers, sized tiny creamer to 20 oz, which is almost as large as I'm able to throw at present. I measured the clay before I started throwing, beginning with 6 oz and working my way up to 2 lb. They really pop in my speckled egg finish.
I am so happy to see this entire collection together. They take up a 7 ft shelf section in the studio, all crowded together, an abundance of pitchers. Originally, I had thoughts of showing them somewhere, but I didn't really keep up with drawing or photographing them individually, and some of the pitchers have definite quality issues. It was a challenging project but I'm so glad that I followed through and finished it. So far, I've made 5 teapots this year, so who knows, maybe there will be an unofficial 52 teapot theme for me this year.
Have a lovely weekend, friends, and I'll see you next week.